Southwestern Home Plans - Your Guide to Different Styles of Southwest Homes
If you have ever traveled in the American Southwest, or even if you have seen pictures, you already know that the landscape there is something that is quite impressive! A look into Southwestern style homes will reveal lovely open floor plans, beautiful natural amenities like granite counter tops and stone flooring, and a simple, yet dramatic style that is subtly enhance by lovely muted desert colors.
The marriage of elegant Spanish and Native American influences, among others, is just part of what makes these southwestern home plans so inviting. Take a look at some of the styles that you can choose from.
Southwestern Home Plan Designs
- Mission-style homes, for instance, capture the grandeur and grace of the old Spanish mission churches. You'll see curved roof lines, patterned tiling, and a general predisposition towards round or clover shaped windows. You'll often see twisted columns, lovely arches and arched dormers.
- Southwestern home plans that are based on an adobe style are made from sun-dried brick, and there are plenty of advantages to using this type of material in the American Southwest. The walls are made to absorb heat in the day and to keep the home and its inhabitants warm in the night. Though it is considered to be quite labor intensive, it can also be accomplished by people working with just their friends and family.
- Another type of southwestern home plan, the Spanish style home, is completely inspired by the architecture of the Old World and of Latin America. With this style, you'll see more vibrant colors and a grand and elaborate approach to detailing. These homes are often built with thick walls to keep in the coolness in Southern climes. Some other features include arched entryways, low, round towers and wrought iron balcony railings.
- When you are looking for something that is grander even than the Spanish style, consider taking a look at southwestern home plans for the hacienda style home. The hacienda may include amenities like a motor court, and you'll often see that one of the most prominent features of this type of home is an impressive stone arch that leads into a gallery hall. You may find a double sided fireplace in these hoes as well as rooms that are warmed by natural sources of heat.
- The southwestern style on the other hand, is one that is rapidly gaining popularity in the Southwestern United States. This southwestern home plan ptakes a great deal from a Native American influence. This style, also known as Southwestern Territorial, has a great deal of spare and straightforward design. You may notice flat roofs with parapets, milled woodwork, and smooth or stucco walls. These house are less ornate than many of the styles listed above, but have a charm all their own.
Take some time and take a look at all of the Southwestern style home plans that you have to choose from. This is just the beginning of the fun when planning to build your dream home.
For uniquely beautiful southwest home plans, we recommend home plans from the following architects:
Browse southwestern home plans
Southwestern Home Plans - Southwest Decor
Uncertain about your home decorating skills? This unique series of home decorating books will help you create the warm, inviting sanctuary you've always envisioned. Even if you fear you have no decorating sense, this guide will teach how to put together a beautiful look and feel for your home.
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday 11:00-4:00
Please note: Our office and studio are not open to the public.
5231 Rose Hill Ct
Reno, NV 89502-7785 U.S.A.
We are an online company. If you contact us by phone, please leave a message and we will return your call by the next business day. Although we are happy to answer your questions, we do not take orders over the phone. If you would like to fax your order, please fax all pertinent information including contact and credit card info to 775-856-4277.
We do not accept rush orders because most of our items are handmade by our artists. Please always check the availability of the item you are ordering. Much of our offering is custom made to order. Call us with any questions.
We add new items frequently. Please bookmark our site and check back frequently.
Didn't find the southwest home lighting, decor or Native American themed items you were looking for? Search our site or the web below:
Copyright © 1999-2006 Kokopelli's Treasures. All rights reserved.
Southwest Home Lighting Southwest Home Decor Southwest Art Kokopelli Novelties Southwest Home Decor & Lighting Kokopelli Art Metal Wall Art Southwest Decor Secrets of Life & Culture Meet the Artists Customer Testimonials About Us Links Store Policies Search Index Contact Us